*** If you wish to connect your domain and take your site live before the end of the free trial period per the subscription plan you selected when signing up with us, your monthly hosting fees will automatically begin. You must be a monthly paying customer in order to take your site live!***
So you're ready to take your site live and connect it to your domain? That's exciting because that means you're one step closer to becoming the next big marketplace success story!
Before you move forward with connecting your domain, please make sure you've purchased a Domain and SSL Certificate preferably (but not required) from GoDaddy. If you are not familiar with what a Domain or an SSL Certificate is and why you need it, please read the following article: Domain Name and SSL Certificate
You will need to purchase a brand new SSL Certificate, preferably from GoDaddy for your marketplace site, however all you need is a basic one (Domain Validation/DV, not managed). We will not be able to connect your marketplace domain to an existing SSL Certificate or one that is tied to a different domain. Even if the SSL Certificate allows for multiple domains, if the SSL is already attached to a domain, it will not work. It must be brand new!
Domain Connection Process
You will complete a series of 3 main steps during the domain connection process. Each step contains its own set of instructions that you will need to follow very carefully. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time and do not rush through this process. Below are the 3 main domain connection process steps:
1) Configure DNS Settings through your domain registrar - DNS controls your domain name's website and email settings. When visitors go to your domain name, its DNS settings control which company's server it reaches out to.
2) Generate a CSR (Certificate Signing Request) - To request an SSL certificate, you have to generate a certificate signing request (CSR) first. This identifies which server will use your certificate, as well as the domain names you'll use for SSL certificate.
3) Submit domain name and PFX file through your Admin Panel - Our development team will receive these items and will move forward with connecting your domain. Once your domain, SSL and payment processor have been connected, you will be notified via our Help Center.
IMPORTANT: Once you've completed the domain connection process, our development team will manually connect your PFX file for your SSL Certificate and if you've completed setting up your social logins, they'll also connect your Facebook and Google social login data.
1) Configure DNS Settings
For this first step, we have provided links to instructions for some of the most popular domain registrars below. GoDaddy is our preferred domain registrar because of how simple setup is.
2) Generate a CSR & PFX or P12 File
Now it's time to set up your SSL Certificate. In this step, you'll first generate the CSR (Certificate Signing Request), submit through your domain registrar for approval, then once approved, you'll create the PFX or P12 file.
For Windows users, you'll be generating the CSR and PFX. For Mac users, you'll be generating the CSR and P12.
Click on the link to the instructions that pertain to you:
3) FINAL STEP - Submit Domain Name and PFX or P12
Congratulations! You made it to the final step in the Domain Connection process. In this step, you will submit your domain name and PFX (or P12) file to our development team via your Admin Panel.
Please submit a ticket via your Admin Panel, by going to the Get Started - Step 6: Connect Domain. Please make sure to enter your domain name correctly, as well as submitting the PFX file for the SSL certificate with its password.
If you have any questions or need help, send us a chat and one of our marketplace experts will assist you.