Permits the option to temporarily authorize a deposit in the case of damaged or unreturned items. The example below details how this feature functions on a rental style marketplace, however this feature can be applied to any style of marketplace: Product, Service or Rental.
1) The rental provider will enter the pre-deposit amount when adding their rental listing details. The deposit field is optional; it is up to the rental provider whether they want to require a deposit or not.
2) When a renter books the listing, they will receive an auto email 3 days before the date of the rental that let's them know that the deposit will occur in 24 hours.
3) The buyer can check which credit cards are stored from their Settings > Credit Cards tab. They can remove or update card details from this section as well.
4) If the stored credit card is declined on the day the deposit is charged, an auto email will be sent to the renter letting them know that their card was declined. They can go to their Settings > Credit Cards tab and update the card details from there.
The rental provider will also receive an auto email letting them know that the renter's card was declined when charging the deposit and that the renter has been notified.
The deposit charge will be attempted every 2 hours for 24 hours and once that time has passed, the booking will be automatically cancelled.
5) The rental provider will have a Deposits section on their User Dashboard that lists all the rentals they currently have out.
Deposits are held up to 2 days (48 hours) after the date of the rental and then released back to the renter if a charge was not requested due to damage or other issues.
6) If the rental provider notices damage or any kind of issue, they can request to charge the full amount of the deposit or just a portion of it. They'll do this from their Deposits dashboard section where they'll click Action and select Request Charge
If the rental provider requests a charge, the deposit is NOT released back to the renter and put on hold for 48 hours from the date of the request.
The rental provider will fill out the Request Charge form and enter the full amount of the deposit or the portion that they want to charge. The message is sent to the Marketplace Admin.
7) The Marketplace Admin will receive the message from their Admin Panel > Notifications section.
8) When they view the message, they'll have 3 options: Dismiss, Notify buyer or Chat with Rental Provider.
8a) If admin selects Dismiss...
They'll see the pop-up below and the deposit request will not go through and no charge will be taken from renter.
8b) If admin selects Notify buyer...
They'll see the pop-up below and if they click Accept, that will automatically send the renter an auto email letting them know they will be charged in 72 hours.
Email sent to renter:
If the renter clicks the Contact us now link from the email, that will link them to their marketplace inbox where they can send a message directly to the Marketplace Admin so they can discuss the issues.
8c) If admin selects Chat with (Rental Provider Name)...
That will open up a message box where the admin can send a message to the rental provider and get more details about the issue.
The rental provider will receive the message from the admin at their regular marketplace inbox.
9) After chatting with the rental provider, if the Marketplace Admin decides to dismiss the rental provider's charge request, they'll simply click Dismiss.
If the Marketplace Admin decides to honor the rental provider's charge request, they'll click Charge deposit.
10) If the Admin clicks Charge deposit...
They will see the following pop-up where they can decide to enter the full amount of the charge request or a portion of it.
After they click Accept, that will prompt the following auto email to send to the renter.
11) If the renter does not respond or attempt to make contact within 72 hours, they will automatically be charged.
If the renter clicks "Contact Us Now" on the email, that will allow them to send a message directly to the Admin and the Admin will receive the message from their Admin >Notifications section.
After chatting with the renter, the Marketplace Admin can decide whether to charge the deposit or dismiss it.
If you are interested in this feature and want to learn more please click "Submit a request" at the bottom of this article.